Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Light Painting

First Try

Okay, so this is my first experiment with several different light sources. The only thing I did in Photoshop is crop this photo a little. It is in jpeg format because I have not been able to load Lightroom yet. It might be a while before I get a chance to learn a little about RAW format, but I plan to shoot predominantly in RAW eventually.

The process I used to shoot this was to place my DSLR in Bulb, use my cell phone as a light source, and a separate point and shoot timer flash with a 10 second delay. I turned on my cell phone flashlight, turned off all the lights in the room, and opened the shutter with a remote shutter switch. I held the shutter open while I made circles with the flashlight. After 10 seconds, my point and shoot flashed, and I then closed the shutter. This is the only photo I took, and I shot it at 200 ISO.

The best way to do this is to purchase several torches, different colors, and a separate flash. With a separate flash, I would be able to control the amount of light that the flash produced. As it was, I was stuck with what came out of my point-and-shoot camera.

I'd like to do some more experimenting with light photography later, but this is my first try. And, I wanted to get one picture posted on January 1st. Hopefully I can think of some more interesting projects as the year goes by.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment